It’s been a bit more than a month since we last posted, and a lot of that time has been taken up by architectural stuff – tweaking door placements, finishing off all the drawings and bringing together the work done by our structural engineer with the SAP (energy efficiency) calculations ready to submit to building control.
In the meantime, our groundworker has been doing his part to keep the build going by taking our ground levels down to the final finished floor levels on our plans. The level of the mud in the photo is pretty much the level the ground floor of the house will be at.
In our back garden, we’ve opted for split-levels, mostly to save on extra soil digging but also to provide some more interest. However, this does mean having a retaining wall to stop the back part of the garden collapsing. The photo shows most of the wall up (and since then, the rest has been finished off). We haven’t decided yet what the finish on the wall will be.
This is pretty much the limit of work that can be done before our architectural drawings are passed by building control and our timber frame provider has calculated what they need in terms of foundations (validating and tweaking the work done by our structural engineer).
Everything has been submitted to building control and we’re now waiting on their approval.
While all of this is happening, we’ve decided it would be a fun idea to be able to keep an eye on build progress from afar as well as taking snapshots for posterity.
Our next door neighbours have set up a pole-mounted camera for this and we decided to do something similar. So last weekend, we went to the site and got hold of a few external timbers, some screws and “postcrete” (quick-setting concrete pre-mix for these situations).
After a bit of DIY-ing, we then mounted a battery-powered external camera and a solar panel to keep it charged, and then lifted the whole thing into a hole we dug, filled it with water and postcrete and waited!
For those of you interested in this setup, it consists of four 2×3 external timbers, each about 4 metres in length. One is sandwiched between another two with about half of the length overlapping, to give an overall height of around 6 metres. The final piece is cut to fill the gap between the outer two timbers in the lower half of the contraption. The off-cut from this can then be used to form a tripod-like support for extra strength. The whole thing stands in a hole around 1 metre deep filled half-way with water and then a bag and a half of postcrete.
Once this had set (around 10-15 minutes), we then surrounded it with stones, an earth mound and tripod-like supports on two sides. It leans to one side and sways a bit in the bracing coastal wind but so far, so good!
The camera is a Reolink Go paired with a Reolink solar panel. Due to there being no electricity or wifi on site, the camera has a battery that is charged by the solar panel. It also has a SIM card using Vodafone’s V-SIM service which charges a small monthly flat-fee for unlimited data, specifically for this sort of device. We use the Reolink app to watch the camera and take snaps, and I’m currently investigating how to automate the snapshot process so we can create a time-lapse video at the end.